Thursday, January 5, 2012

Goals for 2012

Since the new season has started, I think it’s time to set some goals. Rather than post a whining list of vague things I don’t think I can do, this is going to be a list of stuff that I will do this season.
  • Skate once a week outside of practice – I don’t care if it’s on the trails, at an outdoor rink, or at session, I will skate at least once a week even if it means going alone*
  • Work out once a week – I am going to do some kind of cardio at least once a week even if it’s only 20 minutes or a 1 mile walk/jog
  • Work on hip checks – I think they are getting better, I did one that felt really right on Tuesday and I want to continue to improve there
  • Get lower – basically a requirement on every derby girl’s goal list
  • Hesitate less – I miss a lot of hits because I am timid and hesitate to hit
  • T-stops – Seriously, I need to get this right
  • Tomahawks – I want to be able to do them quickly without having to slow a lot beforehand
  • Get on the roster – I’ve decided that it won’t be the worst thing in the world if I don’t make it on the roster for the February bout. If I don’t that means I need to reassess my goals and figure out how I can improve. If it doesn’t happen in February then I will keep trying and working hard until I’m good enough to make it.
  • Right-foot glides – I am improving, but slowly
  • Get better – blanket statement I know, but I want to look back at the end of the season and know that I made it a goal to get better




*I’ve been advised not to skate the trails alone, but with the way my schedule is, it’s impossible to meet up with other people to skate. I think the way I’m going to solve the problem of skating alone is to get a one of those lightweight string backpack things that I can take with me so I can have something to hold my water, keys, phone, small first aid kit, and possibly ipod so I am able to carry my pepper spray in my hand or keep it on my wrist

No comments:

Post a Comment