Monday, July 11, 2011

August 8!!

Tonight was great! I spent almost all of the skate session (7:30-10pm) on the rink doing laps. The rink was a bit more crowded (ha!) than normal, and I think about 20 people showed up. This is the largest amount of people I've seen at the Adult Skate, but of course, only a few people skate at a time. At the end of the night, the woman that handles the money and the music said something along the lines of, "Shae, I'm so proud of you. There hasn't been a moment when you've been off your skates!" I think out of the 2+ hours I was there, I was only off the rink for 15 minutes tops.



So not only did I get a lot of skating time in, I got to meet a former coach of the team I want to join! He told me I need to be in derby stance (which is painful and will be even more painful when I skate it in for hours rather than minutes) and that I need to stop leaning in around turns. I tried to stop leaning by not doing crossovers as I went around the turns and feeling what my body was doing, but it naturally just wants to turn inwards.

The most important bit is that recruitment is going to be on August 8!!! Less than one month!! I am nervous and scared, and not at all ready! But omg, I am SO EXCITED!!

The only downside is that I'm still without several pieces of gear that I have to have in a few weeks. I think I'm going to do a fundraiser type thing through my etsy shop, but I'll spend tomorrow at work coming up with ideas for it and figure out what is going to work for me. Also, there are a few other things with work and practice times that I'll need to figure out, but that can wait a few weeks.

BUT OMG, AUGUST 8TH!!!! HOLY CRUD!

6 comments:

  1. Hey I found your blog through tumblr and I couldn't not leave a comment.
    The next newbie intake training course at my local team starts on August the 4th and I'm so not ready. I can hardly move on my skates and I'm terrified, but I really want to go along and start the training.
    Another thing that's getting me downhearted, is that just tonight, I've realised how my weight is going to impact on everything. I'm currently losing weight, but I just feel a bit put off and I was originally so excited.
    I mean, the team don't expect professional people, they just say you have to be able to move on your skates...and I thought, as long as I can get that down, I'll still go along. But now I'm not so sure. What do you think?
    Sorry to just unload on you! Hope I haven't scared you! I'm not normally this intense. =]
    Anyway, well done on all the progress you're making!
    - Poppy. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Poppy

    What's your tumblr name or are you keeping a derby blog? I'd love to hear the experiences of someone going through recruitment at almost the same schedule that I am.

    Yeah, I was hoping that by the time that recruitment came up that I would be down at least 20 more pounds and be in the 180s rather than hovering around 200. One of the things I do to reassure myself is to see pictures of derby girls that are my size and bigger. If they can do it, then I know I can put forward the work and do it.

    I say try it for as long as you can. Have you skated before? If not, I would check and see if any local rinks have skating classes or open skate nights. That way you can be a little bit used to skating before they start having you do anything complicated.

    Haha, it's not a problem to unload on me! You're excited/nervous/scared/worried and I am right now, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shea thanks for the reply! Well, I do have a tumblr but it doesn't have anything about my derby experiences on there though, because nobody knows I'm doing it apart from the girl I'm going with and my boyfriend!
    Feel free to follow me though, though I'm quite boring, haha. =] http://poppyaitch.tumblr.com

    No, I haven't skated before. =/ You know in Whip It when Pash says she didn't have a roller skating phase when she was little, she had a fat girl reading inside phase? Yeah that's me.
    I keep practising every day but I just can't seem to get and steadier!
    There's nowhere near me that does anything like that, otherwise I totally would go for some classes before hand. The team I'm going to train with, I have to travel about an hour and a half to get to, ya see. =[
    Do you have any tips to help me feel a bit steadier on my skates? Or is it basically a case of practising more?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I waited a while to really tell the internet that I was going to try to do derby, too. It's that whole, "What if I don't make it? I've already told people it's something I want to do." thing.

    My fat girl reading inside phase is still going on, so I can definitely relate!

    By steadier, do you mean you're falling a lot and can't keep your balance? One thing to maintain control is to always ALWAYS keep your knees bent. They tell us in class to bend our knees until we can't see our skates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah exactly! I don't want everyone to be sniggering and thinking it's hilarious for me to want to do this.
    I've only fallen once, but I mainly meant that I'm shaking around everywhere! Like, lurching forwards, then backwards when I try and correct myself, you know?
    Well I have a full day of practising on my garden patio, scheduled for tomorrow so I'll definitely remember to bend my knees while I'm doing it. I'll let you know how it goes!
    P.S. Thank you for answering my questions. It's really putting my mind at ease. =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Derby stance totally hurts like a bitch.

    I recommend ALL THE CORE STRENGTH TRAINING you can deal with. And then a little more.

    Yoga, pilates, crunches, push ups, burpees, and russian twists are all the sorts of things that will help.

    Once I started those things, I was actually able to get through pack drills without having to drop out after ten minutes.

    ReplyDelete