Tuesday, August 9, 2011

My First Day (Off Skates Training)

aka - the day before the most horrible soreness of my life (I know this because the soreness is already creeping in)

Fresh meat here starts out with a few weeks of off-skate training, also known as hell. IT WAS AWESOME.

We all started out with a 5 minute jog and stretching (everyone does this, it wasn't just us), and did one of the things I fear most: the introduction thing. Basically it's the thing that takes place in every class and makes me freak out hardcore. You're in a circle and you say your name and something about yourself. Uuuugh, agonizing.

Anyway, before I get distracted, let me tell you what we got to do during our training tonight (not in the right order, because it all blurred together) -

  • Suicides (4, I think?)
  • Grapevines (4 across the rink's width)
  • Lunges (60 total, 30 each leg)
  • Frog Hops (lots)
  • Low Walks (4 across the rink's width)
  • Run Backwards (6 across the rink's width)
  • Chair/Jump (more than I ever wanted to do)
  • Three Hop One Squat
  • 5 point Hops (?) (hop back, middle, front, middle, left, middle, right, middle, back middle - 10 or so of these)
  • One Leg Jumps (maybe 15-20 each leg)
  • Side to Side Jumps (so many of these! They were my favorite)
  • Heel Taps (from derby stance)
  • Toe Taps to Jumping Jacks
  • Push-ups (10 of these just for me, because I knocked over one of the cones!)
  • Crab Walk (2 across the rink's width)
  • Some weird exercise that I was bad at and don't know the name for
  • Burpees (30)
  • Crunches (30)


There are probably a lot of other things that I'm forgetting, but maybe it's for the best. I loved every minute of it though (okay, I didn't like the minutes that I was doing burpees. That exercise can go die in a fire. Other than that, I caught myself smiling several times. I'm definitely not in the best shape of all of the girls (I will be forever jealous of the Firefighter girl because she is AMAZING), but I think I did crazy awesome and I can't wait to do it again.

As I said during the training, "I lost 30 pounds of fat, I just need to gain 30 pounds of muscle and I'll be set."

No comments:

Post a Comment