Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Worrying Wednesday

Rather than a normal post, I thought I would just post a list of worries that I’m having. Some are irrational, some are not. You may or may not be able to tell the difference between the two.

  • My gear won’t arrive in time (yeah, I’m still waiting)
  • My gear will be the wrong size
  • I will break a bone my very first practice
  • No one will like me
  • I won’t like anyone
  • I’ll be too shy to talk, and I won’t ever know if I would like anyone or they would like me
  • I’ll die from the exercise
  • I won’t like roller derby
  • I will never learn how to stop
  • My crossovers aren’t actually crossovers and instead are some weird mutant leg thing I made up
  • I won’t be able to stand still without rolling
  • I will never be able to get low enough
  • The team only has room for a few skaters and I won’t make the cut
  • I will only be able to do 15 laps in 5 minutes
  • Heather and Itzel are lying when they say I’m good at skating
  • I will fall flat on my face while everyone is watching
  • I will never be able to glide on my right foot for more than 5 seconds
  • Work will keep me from being on time for practice so often that the team will tell me not to bother to come to training at all
  • I will be bad at everything
  • Anxiety will get the best of me and I will skip this Saturday’s recruitment event



comic by Natalie Dee

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I found your blog because you found mine! This is a great blog :) I just want to say, I suffer from an anxiety disorder, so I can relate to all of these feelings. There are going to be GREAT women who are going to love you, and want to talk to you, and most importantly SUPPORT you.

    Don't despair if you have a rough recruitment. Stick with it and you can achieve all of your goals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "My gear will be the wrong size" - Bring duct tape just in case.

    I will break a bone my very first practice - no, you won't. They should be teaching you how to fall properly before you do anything else.

    No one will like me - Oh, please. Roller derby girls are our kind of people. They'll appreciate your effed up sense of humor.

    I won’t like anyone - see above.

    I’ll be too shy to talk, and I won’t ever know if I would like anyone or they would like me. - You'll open up after a practice or two. Besides, you probably felt the same way before your first HP club meeting, and that worked out well.

    I’ll die from the exercise. - Probably not during the first practice...

    I won’t like roller derby - you already like roller derby.

    I will never learn how to stop - It just takes a lot of practice. I can stop like an Olympian if I don't think about it. Im utter fail on it during drills.

    My crossovers aren’t actually crossovers and instead are some weird mutant leg thing I made up - No, you have good crossovers. I was eyeing them jealously.

    I won’t be able to stand still without rolling - no one does in the beginning. It's been a month and I still don't.

    I will never be able to get low enough - Ten years from now, you'll still think you're not low enough.

    The team only has room for a few skaters and I won’t make the cut - they don't even have a B team yet. They'll probably take everyone who sticks it out and isn't a total cunty drama queen.

    I will only be able to do 15 laps in 5 minutes. - Sure, until they start working with you. They'll get your speed up.

    Heather and Itzel are lying when they say I’m good at skating - No, we're not. We're jealous.

    I will fall flat on my face while everyone is watching - Yes. Yes, you will. Everyone will fall flat on their face at some point in practice, particularly early on.

    I will never be able to glide on my right foot for more than 5 seconds. - You already glide more than I can.

    Work will keep me from being on time for practice so often that the team will tell me not to bother to come to training at all. - No, they won't. Just explain to them ahead of time. Make sure they know from the beginning what your work schedule is like, and make sure to bring with you to work some workout clothes and a snack to eat on the way (nothing heavy.)

    I will be bad at everything. - So? Even if you get there, get nervous and suck? So will everyone else. I guarantee there will be at least one person worse than you.

    Anxiety will get the best of me and I will skip this Saturday’s recruitment event - I will fucking hunt you down and hurt you. Itzel will come with me. You'll know we're about to strike because, instead of the Jaws music, you'll hear Hasselhoff's Du.

    ReplyDelete