Monday, June 20, 2011

Standard Introduction + Weight Loss Stuff

I'm very afraid of new and different, but I seem to be trying new things all the time. Roller derby is going to be one of those new and different things. I've always had an interest in the sport, but the real interest to actually do roller derby started in January of this year. I saw my first live bout (I'd seen others on tv and in movies) with my friend Heather and we both were blown away by how awesome it was. We immediately said we wanted to do derby, but then sort of let it go for a few months. Heather was busy with RenFaire and I put the idea down on a list of things I could never do because of my size.

Fast forward a few months to May, and I was feeling fed up with the fact that I couldn't do much at all because of my weight. I was sad that I would never be one of those smaller, sportier girls, but then I asked myself, "Why not? Why can't you be one of those girls?" So I decided to start dieting and exercising with the intention of becoming a derby girl.

On May 18th I bought a scale and weighed in at 223. It's been a month and two days since I started my diet and this morning my weight was 204. One pound away from losing 20 pounds and 5 away from being under 200.

My original plan was to buy skates once I lost 30 pounds, but I went skating once and couldn't help myself. In my next post I'll talk about the skating classes and sessions I'm going to as well as what I'd really like to be able to do as far as skating goes.

Also, my friend Heather is keeping a Fresh Meat blog as well. We live an hour away from each other, so she's going to be skating in a different league. You can read her blog here.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I could have written this post, word for word. =/ That's exactly why I haven't done derby yet - well, that and money. XD But DUDE, you inspire me so much, holy crap. Reading through your blog, I was like "wow, that's really not so hard, is it? I could do that!" So thanks, 'cause now I'm all inspired to go get fit and start skating. :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeep! I am excited for you! :D

    ReplyDelete